Learn how to make Vidarbha special gola bhat with the detailed step-by-step recipe.
Gola bhat is a traditional Maharashtrian rice recipe specially prepared in the Vidarbha region. Though this is the specialty of Vidarbha, it is typically known as ‘Nagpuri Gola Bhat‘. As the name suggests, gola bhat is golas/balls of besan are cooked with rice, tempered with tadka, and usually served with kadhi or tadka chaas.
As I am from Nagpur, I grew up eating this traditional gola bhat and this is my most favorite Nagpuri food. It is a one-pot meal and the recipe for this gola bhat is very easy and can be made quickly on a busy day.
Some points to remember while making gola bhat – first, we don’t use water to make golas, just use oil to knead besan. Second, golas should be firm and not too tight. If they are too tight they may remain raw. And lastly, add golas to partially cooked rice (when the rice is half done), this gives them enough time to cook.
You can check out my other recipes by clicking here:
Gola Bhat Recipe
Here is a step-by-step recipe for Nagpuri gola bhat.
Gola Bhat Recipe | Nagpuri Gola Bhat
Ingredients for making Golas
- 1 cup Besan
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp Carom seeds
- 1 tsp Ginger-Garlic paste
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp Coriander , finely chopped
- Oil, for kneading
Ingredients for Rice
- 1.5 cups Rice
- 2.5 cups Water
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp Curd
- Salt, to taste
Making the golas
- Take a bowl. Add all the ingredients required for making golas except oil. Mix well.
- Add oil and mix well. Make a firm dough. Add more oil if required. (Do not add water).
- Mix well and when the besan begins to get a little binding, divide it in equal portion.
- Roll each portion lightly with your hand and try give them the shape of your fingers. (Do not make tight gola as they may remain raw while cooking in rice).
- Wash rice 2-3 times and keep aside.
- Heat a pan/kadhai. Add water, turmeric, curd, salt. mix well.
- Add washed rice. Mix well.
- Cover and cook on low flame till the rice is half done.
- Add prepared golas to this half cooked rice. Gently, push the golas and cover them with rice.
- Cover with a lid and cook further on low flame, while mixing occasionally.
- When the rice and the golas are completely cooked, turn off the heat.
- In a tadka pan, heat 1 tbsp oil.
- Add 1/2 tsp mustard seeds and wait till they splutter. Add 1/2 tsp jeera, a pinch of hing, curry leaves and split red chilies. Switch off the flame.
- Pour the tempering over the Nagpuri Gola Bhaat. Mix well.
- Serve hot with kadhi/Masala chaas/Kairichi kadhi.
If you like this recipe, please leave a comment below and feel free to share this recipe on your social accounts. You can share your creations by tagging @happinesss.is.homemade on Instagram. Follow Happinesss Is Homemade on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest.