Learn how to make masoor rice/masoor pulao in cooker. Easy, healthy, quick, and delicious masoor pulao recipe.
Thought of rice creates a picture of many colours and various tastes which makes rice king of table. Here I have tried masoor dal rice. Masoor dal or whole masoor is also known as Brown lentils and we all know about the health benefits of adding lentils to our diet. Masoor dal rice is a simple, quick and healthy rice recipe; made with whole masoor dal and some basic Indian spices.
When it comes to rice I always prefer this kind of one pot or instant pot spicy rice over simple dal chawal. This masoor rice was introduced to me by one of our neighbour. I don’t know her exact recipe now but tried making it the way I like. Some people also add vegetables along with masoor dal which makes it a wholesome dish; but I skipped using veggies here. Instead I like to serve this rice with vegetable raita or masala chaas.
You can check out my other recipes by clicking here:
You may also like :
Sharing here my step-by-step recipe of Masoor pulao. If you are looking for a healthy and quick meal option, do try this out.
Masoor Pulao Recipe
Here is how to make this healthy and quick Masoor rice.
Masoor Pulao Recipe | Masoor Rice | How to make Whole masoor rice in cooker
- 1 cup Rice
- 1/3 cup Whole masoor dal
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 1 Tomato, finely chopped
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds/Jeera
- 1 tsp Ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1&1/2 tsp Coriander powder
- 1 tsp Garam masala
- 1/2 tsp Kasuri methi, crushed
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 cup Water, or as required
- Coriander leaves, chopped, for garnishing
- Take whole masoor dal in a bowl. Now wash and soak masoor dal in water till you make other preparations.
- Wash rice and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Add bay leaf. When it turns aromatic, add cumin seeds/jeera.
- Add chopped onion. Saute on medium to low flame for about a minute.
- Add ginger garlic paste. Saute till raw smell goes off.
- Add chopped tomato and cook for a minute.
- Add spices – turmeric, red chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala, kasuri methi and salt. Mix well.
- Add soaked masoor dal (water removed).
- Add washed rice and water. Give it a good mix.
- Cover the pressure cooker tightly with its lid.
- Pressure cook pulao for 4 to 5 whistles on a medium flame.
- When the pressure settles down on its own, remove the lid.
- Serve masoor pulao garnished with chopped coriander leaves and masala chaas or vegetable raita.
If you like this recipe, please leave a comment below and feel free to share this recipe on your social accounts. You can share your creations by tagging @happinesss.is.homemade on Instagram. Follow Happinesss Is Homemade on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest.