Kala Chana Chaat is a delightful and popular street food from India. This tangy and spicy dish features black chickpeas (kala chana) tossed with a variety of flavorful ingredients and spices. It is known for its vibrant colors, bold flavors, and the perfect balance of textures.
Kala Chana Chaat is not only a delicious snack or appetizer but also a healthy choice due to the high protein and fiber content of chickpeas.
Whether you’re craving a quick bite or looking to impress your guests with an easy-to-make dish, Kala Chana Chaat is sure to satisfy your taste buds and leave you wanting more.
About this recipe
This Kala Chana Chaat recipe is perfect for the summer season, utilizing the availability of fresh raw mangoes to add a tangy and refreshing twist to the dish. The combination of boiled black chickpeas, onion, tomato, raw mango, mint leaves, and coriander leaves creates a medley of flavors and textures.
To enhance the taste, aromatic spices like red chili powder, cumin powder, chaat masala and black salt are added. If raw mangoes are not readily available, you can substitute them with aamchur powder (dried mango powder) to achieve a similar tangy flavor. The spices provide a hint of heat and depth to the chaat, while the mint leaves contribute a cooling and refreshing element.
This recipe offers a balance of tanginess, spiciness, and freshness, making it a delightful and invigorating dish for hot summer days. It can be enjoyed as a light snack or appetizer, perfect for gatherings or as a quick treat. So, embrace the flavors of the season with this flavorful and easy-to-make Kala Chana Chaat recipe.
Ingredients for kala chana chaat
Here’s a list of the required ingredients for Kala Chana Chaat:
Kala chana (black chickpeas): The star ingredient of the chaat, boiled until tender, providing a hearty and protein-packed base.
Onion: Finely chopped onion adds a sharp and pungent flavor, balancing the other ingredients.
Tomato: Diced tomatoes bring a juicy and tangy element, adding freshness to the chaat.
Raw mango or aamchur powder: Raw mango, when available, is finely chopped and adds a tangy taste. Alternatively, aamchur powder (dried mango powder) can be used as a tangy substitute, enhancing the overall flavor.
Mint leaves: Chopped mint leaves contribute a refreshing and cooling element, providing a burst of freshness.
Coriander leaves: Freshly chopped coriander leaves (cilantro) add vibrancy and a hint of citrusy flavor to the chaat.
Red chili powder: This spice adds a fiery kick and a touch of heat, giving the chaat some spiciness.
Cumin powder: Aromatic cumin powder adds a warm and earthy flavor, complementing the other spices and ingredients.
Chaat masala: A special spice blend that includes a combination of tangy, savory, and spicy flavors. Chaat masala is a key ingredient in giving the chaat its signature taste.
Salt: Essential for enhancing the flavors and bringing out the taste of the other ingredients.
Lemon juice: Squeezed over the chaat, lemon juice adds a tangy and citrusy flavor, brightening up the dish.
Black salt: Black salt is used sparingly in kala chana chaat to give it a distinct and appetizing twist. It helps to balance the flavors of the dish by adding a hint of tanginess and enhancing the overall taste.
These ingredients work together to create a tantalizing mix of tangy, spicy, and refreshing flavors in Kala Chana Chaat.
Health benefits of kala chana chaat
Kala Chana Chaat offers several health benefits due to its nutritious ingredients. The black chickpeas (kala chana) used in this chaat are a great source of plant-based protein, dietary fiber, and essential minerals. Protein helps in building and repairing tissues, while fiber promotes digestion and keeps you feeling full for longer.
The chaat is also rich in vitamins and antioxidants from ingredients like onions, tomatoes, raw mangoes and coriander leaves. These nutrients support overall health and boost the immune system.
Additionally, the chaat is often flavored with spices like chaat masala and cumin, which not only add delicious taste but may also aid digestion.
So, enjoy the flavorful and nutritious Kala Chana Chaat guilt-free, knowing that it not only satisfies your taste buds but also provides you with a range of health benefits to support your well-being.
You can check out my other recipes by clicking here:
Kala Chana Chaat Recipe
Kala Chana Chaat Recipe | Nutritious Desi Delight: Black Chickpea Salad Recipe
- 1 cup Kala chana (Black chickpeas), Boiled
- 1/2 cup Onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Tomato, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Raw mango, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp Red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp Chaat masala
- 1/4 tsp Black salt
- 2 tbsp Lemon juice
- 2 tbsp Coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Mint leaves, finely chopped
- Salt , to taste
- In a mixing bowl, add boiled black chickpeas/kala chana.
- Now add onion, tomato, raw mango and lemon juice. Mix well.
- Sprinkle chaat masala, cumin powder, red chili powder, black salt, and salt over the mixture. Toss everything together until the spices are evenly distributed.
- Finally add chopped coriander leaves and mint leaves. Give it a good mix.
- Transfer the Kala Chana Chaat to serving bowls or plates. Serve immediately with lemon wedges on the side for squeezing over the chaat for added tanginess.
- Enjoy the tangy, spicy, and flavorful Kala Chana Chaat as a delicious snack or appetizer!
Recipe with step-by-step photos
- In a mixing bowl, add boiled black chickpeas/kala chana.
2. Now add onion, tomato, raw mango and lemon juice. Mix well.
3. Sprinkle chaat masala, cumin powder, red chili powder, black salt, and salt over the mixture. Toss everything together until the spices are evenly distributed.
4. Finally add chopped coriander leaves and mint leaves. Give it a good mix.
5. Transfer the Kala Chana Chaat to serving bowls or plates. Serve immediately with lemon wedges on the side for squeezing over the chaat for added tanginess.
6. Enjoy the tangy, spicy, and flavorful Kala Chana Chaat as a delicious snack or appetizer!
If you like this recipe, please leave a comment below and feel free to share this recipe on your social accounts. You can share your creations by tagging @happinesss.is.homemade on Instagram. Follow Happinesss Is Homemade on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest.