Pickles are also popularly known as “Achaar”. We all grown up eating different kinds of pickles made by our grandmothers or mothers. This onion pickle is what my mom used to make every summer. Yes, eating onion during summers can prevent the diseases caused by summer heat. It also has lots of health benefits.
Pickles are the most popular Indian accompaniment that you can find in almost every household. I have learnt how to make this onion pickle from my mother. It is an easy to make pickle recipe which does not take much time to prepare. Also you don’t need much ingredients.
To make this instant onion pickle we require small/baby onions. If you don’t have small onions, big onions can also be used. You just have to chop the onion lengthwise. As this is an instant pickle, you have to consume it in 1 or 2 days or you can store it in refrigerator for a week.
This beautiful looking onion pickle can be served with your meals or breakfasts like parathas.
Sharing here my step-by-step recipe of Instant Onion Pickle. If you are a pickle lover, do try this out.
Instant Onion Pickle Recipe
Instant onion pickle is an easy to make accompaniment which you can serve with your meals. Here is how to make it.
- Baby onions, 5-7 nos.
- Crushed yellow mustard seeds – 2 tsp
- Red chilli powder – 1&1/2 tsp
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Sugar – 1/4 tsp (optional)
- Black mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Asafoetida/Hing – 1/4 tsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Soak onions in water. This will help to remove skin easily.
- Remove onion skin and cut all the onions in flower shape.
- Prepare masala. – In a small bowl, add crushed yellow mustard seeds, red chilli powder, salt, sugar. Mix well.
- Fill the above masala in onions and keep them aside.
- Heat oil in a tadka pan. Add black mustard seeds, when it crackles switch off the flame.
- Add asafoetida/hing. Allow it to cool completely.
- Add this cooled oil over masala onion.
- Let it set for about 1/2 an hour and your onion pickle is ready to enjoy with your meals or breakfast.
If you don’t have baby onions, lengthwise chopped big onions can be used instead.
Store this pickle in refrigerator.